Friday, July 23, 2010

Peppermint Candy Demonstration on VoiceThread

I created a VoiceThread to add to my final project. The peppermint candy is added to a dish of water and students observe what happens and try to explain the process that is occurring. I do this demonstration as an opener to our transport chapter discussing diffusion and osmosis. I normally put a petri dish with water on the overhead projector and add the candy. It shows up very clearly using the overhead. The colored bands of sugar move out into the water by diffusion. The bands don't mix, so you can see the red bands move out and away from the candy. It takes a few seconds to get started, so the kids are intrigued at what is going to happen.

I decided to try a little more technical way, by recording it with a camcorder and then adding it to a VoiceThread.

1 comment:

  1. You did a nice job with this video, and I like that the demo would be available to students who weren't in class.

    ReplyDelete