Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Week 5: Tool Exploration Part 2: Wordle

I have seen and tried Wordle once before. I created one using words about cell organelles. Students could use this tool to create a visual list of vocabulary words for a chapter or to show key words from a project. I don't see a lot of value in this tool, but it may be a way to add something extra to a project or blog to create interest and some discussion. It is a different way to look at words. It is very quick and easy to use. The site is www.wordle.net



4 comments:

  1. This is a fun tool. Not necessarily a lot of rigor involved with it, but it does tend to help keep the kids attention. I've use this a few times with my students for creating word lists for exams. It takes more time than putting it on the board, but this is one of the first lists the kids don't easily lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this. Could be something to use from a reading assignment. A group could come up with a list of words from the reading, others could add...words could be color coded--those they know, think they know, don't know....Or a concept with key words to define, explain the concept. Another way for them to interact with the vocab that they might find fun. Create some concept posters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat, I really like this! I'm crazy about science as art, and this is a low-key, low-pressure, and fun way to introduce students to science vocabulary. This is especially true for your cell or even an energy unit - lots of big words! Like Kelly, I'm looking at that poster thinking, "There's GOT to be something cool I can do with this!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about Wordle. It's really kinda cool but not a high value tool in my humble opinion! I like the idea of using is to show vocab that is known or not known. Another way it could be used is as a way to brainstorm words related to a particular concept, having the students contribute relevant words.

    ReplyDelete